For blogs with less than 300 Followers

For blogs with less than 300 Followers
Thanks to Hestia's Larder for this delightful award.
(For Blogs with less than 300 Followers)

Saturday 5 March 2011

Weather (4)

I think I've done something to offend the Weather Gods of Aoteroa.

First was the School Sports Fiasco (see here) where I ended up standing under pouring rain, wearing nothing but a large floppy sun hat, blue shirt (School House Colours), dependable shorts, SF 50 sunblock(washing of in the rain) sandals and a half smile/half grimace.
The student's type of Javelin


My type of Javelin
Second was when the alternate Sports Day was cancelled, and the weather turned out to be gorgeous on the day.  On the day I was timetabled to take 5 classes, and was really looking forward to directing our students in the finer points of throwing the javelin (don't go over the white line, don't ever point it at me, and never, never put it through your foot) while I lolled under a large umbrella sipping re-hydrating fluids, and took the rest of the day off.
Government House

Third was today.  We had bought tickets to go to the Dominion Post Summer Concert.  This is an outdoor performance of the NZ Symphony Orchestra with some famous soloists added.  The usual pieces, Berlioz, Verdi and many others, finishing with the 1812 (with cannons).  We had planned this for months, and we were taking a lovely elderly friend with us, as her birthday (82) treat.  Weather has been good, and Friday was lovely, hot and sunny, but the forecast wasn't too flash, and this morning (Saturday) it's steadily raining.  The website says it's off. Obviously, being an outdoor event, the organizers have planned for bas weather.  There is an alternate outdoor day on Sunday, but the forecast for tomorrow is much worse than today, so the third alternate is activated, which means we go to a concert hall (Michael Fowler Centre) on Sunday instead.  We'll still get our music and even our pre-paid picnic hampers (A euphemism for a brown paper bag containing:
  • Pasta salad in a plastic box
  • A Muffin
  • A slice of cheesecake
  • An apple
  • A plastic bottle of an anonymous white wine from somewhere in the southern hemisphere
Wonderful)
 But it won't be the same indoors, and I was looking forward to seeing Government House after it's major refurbishment.

Damn all Gods
Now I'll have to stay at home and vacuum, wash and clean.
A man's work is never done.

7 comments:

  1. "I think I've done something to offend the Weather Gods of Aoteroa."
    Well, in Christchurch some are thanking God that no one died in the cathedral on the square. It seems that he doesn't mind people dying elsewhere. I don't really think that God is on our side. TSB (of RBB), you go ahead and offend all the gods you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also off to that tomorrow - only because some people who were going to go to it today can not go to it tomorrow. They have given their two tickets and brown paper bag of food to my friend Sonia and she has invited me to come along. May see you there TSB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't listen to Richard (aka Gadafi/Cheen). God does exist and he will expect us to balance the account somehow at the end, though I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Richard [of RBB] , I will.

    Fflur: I'll look out for you.Look for the distinguished bearded man with a lady using a zimmer.

    Second: No He doesn't, wrong and yes, you are wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to discover that no-one died in the Cathedral - last I'd read about it there had been people sightseeing up the tower, erm, spire just before the earthquake struck.

    God exists, I think, but not as the genial chap with the big beard or even the easily offended chap that zapped people into pillars of salt.

    Nah - I think God will turn out to be a physics principle - or electricity or gravity or something. I'm going with electricity. God is electrical.

    *folds arms, awaits arrival of social services*

    AX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard [of RBB]: I agree, I only used the word Gods here to describe a primitive belief based on anthropomorphic principles which just gives you something to blame. It's a bit more enjoyable screaming "I hate the weather Gods", rather than "I hate the chaotic multi-variable climatic conditions which are only predictable to a very low value of Wn where n has a value of between -1 and 0"

    AliX: I too am happy that no more bodies were discovered in the rubble of the tower/spire thingy.

    I'm not sure about God. It would be lovely to be able to believe in a benign being who is watching over us all, but I just don't see any evidence. God might well be some sort of Universal principle, fitting into the spaces between the particles which make up the Universe, but again I do not see any evidence. Maybe God is electrical,maybe the people from the SS (bad abreviation that) will come along with their nice canvas "Hug me tighter"jacket. We shall wait and see.

    Here's a thought. Some people believe that you can't go to heaven unless you are complete. (e.g. You have all the bits you were born with). Maybe if you get your gallstones removed, you should keep them in a safety depost box at the bank, and give your executors strict instructions to have them interred avec vous. Just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "God does exist and he will expect us to balance the account somehow at the end..."
    Sounds a bit like NCEA.

    "Some people believe that you can't go to heaven unless you are complete."
    What if you lose a tooth, as I have?

    "I think God will turn out to be a physics principle - or electricity or gravity or something. I'm going with electricity. God is electrical."
    Then why not just call God Electricity (notice the capital letter, I'm feeling gregarious this morning)? Why the name change? God, after all, has a history and, let's face it, it's not all good.

    Hey, of course I am delighted that no bodies were found in the cathedral - that goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Site Meter