For blogs with less than 300 Followers

For blogs with less than 300 Followers
Thanks to Hestia's Larder for this delightful award.
(For Blogs with less than 300 Followers)

Thursday 3 February 2011

Gong Xi Fat Choi

Happy New Year. 
The Chinese New Year starts to day, so welcome to the Year of the Rabbit.
My beloved was born in Singapore, and has always tried to maintain the traditions taught to her by her Mum.

We had a huge and very tasty meal last night.
Hainanese Chicken with Garlic, ginger and spring onion paste
Singapore yellow chicken curry
Salmon with stir fried vegetables
Chicken, Chinese mushroom and bok choy
All served with rice in stock and accompanied by a very good quality Chinese Tea.
We had fresh Pineapple for dessert.

I had remembered, and gave my beloved a card and a small present (a lovely delicate necklace chain with attached gold and silver daisies.)
We cleaned up everything and I put out the rubbish last night.  Similar to the Scottish tradition, it is important to get everything clean and tidy before the New Year starts.  It is considered unlucky to clean on the beginning of the New Year (It lasts for 2 weeks), and putting out rubbish or sweeping out dirt or dust is said to remove your good luck for the coming year.

Before I went to bed, I tucked a red packet (a Hung-Bao) with some gold coins ($5) under my beloved's pillow, to bring fortune for the year.

Back to school now, and already the relief is starting.  We have 2 teachers off, and we're still 2 teachers short of establishment, so I've got to get 4 relievers.  It's getting quite difficult as many of my previous year's group have now got full-time jobs, and I'm down to only 6 on my list.

Got to go, or I'll be late.

Looking forward to seeing my classes and actually starting to teach.  I love my job, especially when I'm in the classroom, interacting with our kids.  Mostly.

4 comments:

  1. 恭禧發財

    I like the idea of not cleaning as its bad luck. The Old Girl is in Auckland and back tomorrow. I'll see if I can get away with that argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a meal. Please feel free to invite me over next year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Site Meter